The PowerXL Smokeless Grill Grilled Cheese
We all have lazy cooking days—days when the conscientious mom who always measures the nutritional content of everything and records sugar intake before setting a meal in front of her children wants to take a break and just get some rest. Those are the days when the kids get to eat food that they actually love eating for once, rather than what they have to eat to grow strong, have healthy bones, etc. And those are the days of chips, fried chicken, pizza, and the mighty grilled cheese. Yummy! My kids cheer in the background.
I have made a lot of grilled cheeses. They are simple to make and delicious to eat—the perfect comfort food you could ask for. And I have made it in a lot of things: in frying pans, on kitchen tops, and I even braved a stockpot grilled cheese once. But the best grilled cheese—crispy bread and gooey, melted cheese—is made on the electric grill.
The PowerXL Smokeless Grill is an excellent thing to have in your kitchen as it can cook a lot of things a lot of ways. It not only comes with a grill but also offers a griddle plate that lets you experiment with different cooking styles and try new things. But let’s focus on the grilled cheese for now. More so, on how to make that perfect grilled cheese.
How to Make Grilled Cheese
You need three ingredients, which are a staple in every pantry: bread, butter, and cheese.
- Turn on your PowerXL Smokeless Grill. Set the temperature at 300° F (150° C). This setting provides the medium heat required to crisp the bread and melt the cheese without overdoing it.
- Spread room-temperature butter on two slices of bread. I prefer wholemeal or multigrain bread. It is sturdier than white bread and doesn’t fall flat. Buttering the bread is better than putting bread alone on the smokeless grill. It given an even cooking and doesn’t let the butter burn away before doing its job.
- Put one slice on the grill buttered side down. Sprinkle grated cheese on top—enough to cover the entire slice. I use around ¼ cup of medium cheddar. It gives a good melt and flavor.
- Cover it with the second slice, buttered side up.
- Let it cook for 5 minutes (until the bottom slice turns a crispy golden brown) and then flip and cook for another 5 minutes. The best way to determine when it’s done is when you see the cheese melting and oozing over the sides.
- Slide on to a plate, turn off the grill, and enjoy!
The PowerXL Smokeless Grill works really well for things like this. It provides a large cooking surface so you can make more than one cheese at once (you can’t have just one, right?), and makes sure the smoke from the cooking doesn’t bother you, which is usually a hazard with normal barbeque grills. So plug in that grill and let’s make some grilled cheese. it really goes with a steaming bowl of tomato soup on cold winter nights.